Friday, April 15, 2011

Who screams at the Zoo?


Well, I do apparently. You see this little guy may look sweet enough, but he is not. He was not only asking for food. He was demanding it by backing up 4 or 5 feet and full on running into the wire fence. Scaring me into screaming. The girls, who are much braver and I, were just laughing it off... probably more laughing at Mommy.. because I was acting ridiculous. Let's get out of this area, girls! Let's take no chances! What if he busts his way through...
Oh, Mom, just relax. I am sure he can't get through. Yes, folks, the girls have more sense than I. No, he did not ever bust through. And we had a very nice rest of our day. In fact, it was one of those days that I hope I will never, ever forget.

This was at the Austin Zoo, and we live right near it! It is a rescue zoo. Over 90 percent of their residents have been rescued from unfortunate circumstances. There are former circus animals, monkeys who have spent their entire lives in laboratory research centers, and animals kept inappropriately as pets. The work they do at this zoo is phenomenal and it was a pleasure going. We can't wait to go back!

7 comments:

Tammy said...

I love the zoo. Sounds like a wonderful day and I really like your picture of you and the girls. Did you take it yourself?

Unknown said...

Don't let that goat fool you, girl. He's got evil in his eyes! You were right to run!!! LOL

We've got a zoo about 2 hours from us, in Columbia. We'll be visiting in May...I'll stay away from any and all goats, just in case.

Alicia said...

Ellie and I actually witnessed one jump OUT of the pen over the fence. Scared the crap out of us! Apparently we scream too!

BeadedTail said...

That goat probably would have scared me too if it was aiming at little girls. Maybe he needs to be put in another pen! Your zoo sounds wonderful though especially in that it's a rescue zoo. How fun that it's so close too!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God I am so TERRIFIED of goats...and whatever that thing is looks close enough to one. I'm with you there- anything that aggressive does NOT belong in a petting situation if you ask me. And why do they have such evil looking rectangle pupils????

Glad you all had fun despite. That seems like such a noble zoo...all of those situations make me want to cry so I'm so glad that the animals found a good situation, or one found them as it may be. I will NEVER go to the circuit ether. Have you read Water for Elephants? DON"T if you haven't:)

Unknown said...

I'm sure I would of screamed too. Sounds like a wonderful zoo. We are hoping to make a trip to the zoo during our vacation this week. Hopefully there won't be a storm. Love the picture of you and the girls xoxo.

Duni said...

You are too funny, Kristin :)
How nice you have an animal sanctuary near you that allows people to visit. Over here they are located in closed off areas.
LOVE the photo of you and the girls. So precious!