Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Start of the New Year



After months of longing to get my Etsy Shop back up and running, I finally did it. This was my first listing, on New Year's Eve, my Good Luck Green Vase.

The original goal was to get my shop running in September, when I had 2 kids in school.. well, preschool, for 8 hours a week. Wow. Did I have my head in the clouds or what. 8 Hours of free time flew by. I did not have any time to get anything done. I would use that time to go grocery shopping, or clean the floors without little feet rushing by..and then, it was time for pick-up. I also had some days of enjoying a lazy meal, in front of my computer screen, not gonna lie, but after 5 years of never doing that, I felt I could give myself a break. And when my munchkins are home, God Bless'em, it is not like I can lolly-gag in front of my computer. Did I just say "lolly-gag?"...moving on..

So, during the last few months, in the midst of getting a house ready for sale, and trying to talk myself out of pulling out my artsy supplies, as then I would just be creating more of a mess for myself.. well, I battled against that thought. I would find some time, usually early morning, before anyone was awake, trying out some new art ideas...and I stumbled across this.

You see.. My husband gave me flowers for our anniversary in September, and when those flowers were long since dead, I was left with this non-descript glass vase. I thought, how could I jazz that up? So, I went to the store, bought some stucco..after several atempts, I found a technique worked well. I then would paint said stucco, apply a clear acrylic sealer, and voila, a semi-homemade vase.

They are so much fun to make, I enjoy every single minute of it. Believe it or not, it is not too messy, so I can put my supplies away relatively easily. Which will help, when our house goes on the market within a few days!

Please visit me at my shop, I hope to add new inventory regularly, I would love to have my shop filled with 50-60 items. I would love to aim for a craft show later in the year as well, but, given the fact that we have no idea where we will be living, it might not be an attainable goal. We will see. Baby Steps.

4 comments:

Liz Mays said...

It's time to list it, huh? I hope it sells right away for you!

BeadedTail said...

Those vases are a great idea! I would never have thought of something like that but I love what you did. I hope you sell lots!

Duni said...

Hi Kristin...I have already spotted your new etsy shop (before you posted about it) and love that round flower vase you made!
I love how you experiment with new techniques, so creative, and don't ever give up what you love to do :)
I hope I get my new shop stocked soon too...

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you've got your shop back up and running! I'm glad you're finding some time for yourself through art again:) Us crafty people just can't neglect that side of ourselves, kids or no kids. Hopefully you'll get to accomplish your goal, a craft show would be awesome!